Friday, August 20, 2010

Lone Wolf


Being me is really easy when I am by myself.

Sometimes I feel the most connection with the world when I am just walking alone. The same feeling comes over me no matter where I am walking in the world; a sense of calm, openness, awareness and gratitude for the moment are all common themes.

I remember in Prague after my evening shifts at work I would go to the store and buy a nice Czech beer to drink as I would walk around the city, marveling at the intricate architecture and striking up meaningful conversations with random people.

Or in Tofino, when I lived there I would often walk the long hidden coastal jungle trail between home and the town, often getting lost in the thick forest, but always enjoying the adventure. I think that this path made me a stronger person, to know that I was ok in the forest even if I temporarily a bit lost.

In the Slocan Valley I lived up a 5km driveway that I walked every morning to get to the road where I would the hitchhike to and from work. I met many a bear on those walks, even witnessed cubs climb up a tree to get away from me. It was a bit nerve wracking at first, but I learned that singing really loud helped me feel pretty comfortable. I love looking back at that time in my life, what a trip!

During a winter in Quebec city I took a weekly yoga class with one of my favorite Iyengar teachers. But it was a arduous journey to get to the evening class. First a half hour walk to the ferry to cross the St. Laurence then another half hour walk through the city center to catch the bus. It was a 5 hour round trip (including the yoga class), and I loved every minute.

Taking this weekly journey by myself gave me lots of time to really see Quebec city from many vantage points. We became good friends. And the walk home off of the ferry always involved a stop at the dépanneur (corner store) for a nice Quebecois beer (must be the slavic in me ;) and a bar of chocolate to warm me up on the cold, dark and beautiful walk home through the snow.

Walking as a lone wolf is really a treat sometimes. You might just get to know yourself and the world around you a little better. I highly recommend it!

Until next time,
Lucka

No comments:

Post a Comment